Simon vs the homo sapiens agenda
Becky Albertalli
Balzer and Bray, 2015
The storyline is relatively familiar - gay boy keeps sexuality hidden but now worries about being outed. It's the author's writing style and beautiful dialogue that makes this award winning novel a stand out. A few examples:
“Why is straight the default? Everyone should have to declare one way or another, and it shouldn't be this big awkward thing whether you're straight, gay, bi, or whatever. I'm just saying.”
“I mean, I feel secure in my masculinity, too. Being secure in your masculinity isn't the same as being straight.”
“I’m too busy trying not to be in love with someone who isn’t real.”
The dialogue alone makes this a worthwhile read, and an inspirational source for thinking about sexuality, gender identity, and generally being human. A feature film based on the book called Love, Simon is due for release in 2018.

Comments
Post a Comment